Financial support

If your income has been affected by COVID-19, you may be able to apply for financial support.

How to use this tool

Answer these questions to find out what financial support you could get.

There are different support options if you are an employer, are self-employed or a sole trader, or if you are an employee.

Find out what financial support you could access

If you need to get a COVID-19 test

The COVID-19 Short-Term Absence Payment was available for businesses, including self-employed people, to help pay their employees who could not work from home while they waited for a COVID-19 PCR test result.

It was available between 9 February 2021 and 17 October 2022. Applications for the Short-Term Absence Payment have closed.

COVID-19 Short-term Absence Payment | Work and Income (external link)

If you need to self-isolate

If you cannot work from home while you are self-isolating, you may be eligible for the COVID-19 Leave Support Scheme. Your employer needs to apply for you. You can also apply if you are self-employed.

You may also be eligible for the scheme if you or someone you care for is at higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19.

Your employer can get $600 per week if you work full time, and $359 per week if you work part time to pass on to you. Talk to your employer if you think you meet the criteria.

COVID-19 Leave Support Scheme | Work and Income (external link)

Extra help while you are self-isolating | Work and Income (external link)

If you have lost your job because of COVID-19 circumstances

If you have lost your job or you cannot work at the moment, you may be able to get help from Work and Income.

Use the online tool to find out what type of help you may qualify for.

Support if you are not working | Work and Income (external link)

Help with essential costs

If you have lost your job, cannot work or are working fewer hours, you may be able to get a benefit or some other financial help from Work and Income.

Work and Income can help with urgent costs like:

  • food
  • accommodation costs, for example rent, board, or the cost of owning a home
  • power, gas, heating or water bills
  • medical and dental costs.

You do not need to be on a benefit to get financial support.

Help for you and your whānau during COVID-19 | Work and Income (external link)

Call Work and Income on 0800 559 009 or use their online calculator to check what you might be eligible for.

Check what you might get | Ministry of Social Development (MSD)(external link) (external link)

Support for people in New Zealand on a temporary visa

Contact your embassy or consulate

If your employment has been affected and you are experiencing financial hardship, or you need help getting home, your embassy or consulate may be able to help.

People on a temporary visa are not eligible for help from Work and Income.

Contact details of your country's embassy, consulate or high commission(external link) (external link)

If you are an international student

If you are an international student and are experiencing financial hardship, we recommend you speak to your education provider or student association. They may be able to offer you free budgeting advice, or tell you about funds that are available. 

Last updated: at