Support and information for seniors

This section has information about COVID-19 and useful services for older people.

Want to talk to someone?

For free health advice, call Healthline on 0800 358 5453.

If you are self-isolating and need food or other essential items, call the COVID-19 welfare phone line on 0800 512 337.

If it is an emergency and you need urgent medical help or cannot breathe properly, call emergency services on 111. If you have COVID-19, tell them when you call.

Large Print and audio

Information about our response to COVID-19 — including vaccination, self-isolation guidance and traffic light settings — is available in Large Print and audio.

Large Print and audio

Get a COVID-19 test

When you may need a COVID-19 test

You may need a test if:

  • you have symptoms of COVID-19
  • you live with someone who has COVID-19
  • you are travelling
  • your job needs you to take tests.

If you have cold, flu or COVID-19 symptoms you should get a test as soon as you start to feel unwell. Doing a test and reporting the result in My Covid Record means you can get the help you need as early as possible.

You can do a rapid antigen test (RAT) at home, either by yourself or with the help of a family member or support person. 

How to get a rapid antigen test (RAT) kit

You can order RATs online or over the phone to use at home. The service is easy to use, and there are RAT collection sites all around the country. You will need access to a mobile phone to order online.

If needed, someone else can order and pick up a RAT kit for you.

You can also arrange for a doctor or nurse to do a test for you at a testing centre. It is okay to bring someone with you when you get a test.

You can also get free advice from Healthline — call 0800 358 5453

Get tests delivered to your home

If you cannot leave your home, you may be able to to have a RAT kit delivered to you.

How to report your results

Report your positive or negative RAT result by phone or online. Reporting a result means you can get extra support if you need it while self-isolating.

What happens if you get COVID-19

If you test positive

Report your positive RAT result online or over the phone.

If you have a mobile phone, you will receive confirmation of your test results by text from the Ministry of Health, using the official 2328 or 2648 numbers.

The text includes a link to the COVID-19 Health Hub. This is a safe and data-free website with trusted, up-to-date information about what to do next, and how to monitor your symptoms.

COVID-19 Health Hub (external link)

The text also includes a link to a form with questions about your health, wellbeing, and where you are living, so you can get extra help if you need it.

If you need help completing the form, email or call 0800 555 728.

What you need to do

You need to self-isolate for 7 days. This means you must stay at home and try to avoid contact with people you live with. The people you live with also need to isolate.

Start counting from Day 0. This is the day your symptoms started or when you tested positive (whichever came first).

Use the household isolation timeline tool (external link)

Make a plan for how you will get food or medicines delivered.

For most people, COVID-19 is a mild to moderate illness. You should be able to fully recover at home.

If you still feel unwell after 7 days, you should stay at home until 24 hours after your symptoms have gone.

Get vaccinated

Get your booster for the best protection

A booster dose will give you greater immunity against COVID-19, including Omicron.

People aged 18 and over can get a booster if it has been 3 months since they completed their primary course. For most people, this is 2 doses.

If you have not been vaccinated yet, talk to your doctor or health professional for advice.

Vaccine advice if you have a health condition

Book your vaccination or get advice

To book your vaccination or get advice, call the COVID Vaccination Healthline on 0800 28 29 26.

If you are immunocompromised

Some people who are severely immunocompromised are eligible to get a third primary dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. This extra dose will help give you your best possible protection.

Your doctor can tell you whether you are eligible for this third primary dose. 

Vaccination for people who are severely immunocompromised | (external link)

Get support

General COVID-19 support

Find services for when you need help, support, advice or information about COVID-19.

COVID-19 support

Get financial support

If your income has been affected by COVID-19, you may be able to apply for financial support.

Financial support

When you are self-isolating

Support is available if you need it when self-isolating because of COVID-19.

Help when you are self-isolating

If you have carers or home support

If you test positive, tell your support provider so they can put protective measures in place. Your in-home care will carry on, even if you are sick with COVID-19.

Anyone who is providing care must follow infection prevention control procedures.

Infection prevention and control recommendations for health and disability care workers | (external link)

What to do if your support worker or carer gets COVID-19

COVID-19 welfare phone line

Call the Ministry of Social Development's free COVID-19 Welfare line on 0800 512 337They can help you with:

  • food and essential items
  • mobile data so you can keep in contact with friends and whānau
  • support for personal care or daily tasks
  • talking to your employer if you are worried about your leave or pay
  • mental health support
  • support with family or sexual violence.

If you are not coping

Find helplines that are available if you are not coping or have concerns for others.

Wellbeing helplines and support

Wearing a face mask

Face masks are a way we can protect ourselves and others from COVID-19. You should wear one whenever you can. At some traffic light settings, there are some places where you must wear one.

Face mask exemptions

Some people cannot wear masks. If you have a legitimate reason for not wearing a face mask, such as a disability or a physical or mental health condition, you can apply for a Mask Exemption Pass.  

The traffic light system

The purpose of the traffic light system

We are protecting Aoteroa New Zealand from COVID-19 using a system called the 'traffic lights'. Its official name is the COVID-19 Protection Framework.

What the traffic lights mean for you

At every traffic light setting

  • My Vaccine Passes are no longer required. Some businesses may choose to keep using them.
  • You do not need to scan in when visiting a business or venue.

When we are at Red

  • There is a 200-person limit for indoor gatherings and events.
  • You must wear a face mask in many indoor locations.

When we are at Orange

  • You must wear a face mask in many indoor locations.

When we are at Green

  • There are no restrictions.

Last updated: at