Update on COVID-19 cases — 12 November

There are 3 new cases of COVID-19 to report in New Zealand today.
  • 1 case was detected in a recent returnee in a managed isolation facility. They have been moved to the Auckland quarantine facility.
  • 2 new cases in the community.

Updated 6.15pm, Thursday 12 November

Auckland community case

The Ministry of Health has reported a community case in Auckland. A detailed interview with the case has been conducted by Auckland Regional Public Health Service. They have now been moved to the Auckland quarantine facility today.

We have identified 3 close contacts, and they are all being followed up, isolated, and tested.

Close contacts include a colleague of the case, and 2 friends. They all report being well. The 2 friends are being transferred to the Auckland quarantine facility as a precaution. 1 of the friends lives alone in the Vincent Residences, the same as the case.

Locations of interest

Following interviews with the case, Health authorities are in the process of confirming a number of locations of interest that the person visited while possibly infectious.

Advice if you’re in Auckland

If you work in central Auckland, we are asking you to work from home where possible.

If you must go into this area, please use masks and maintain physical distance while health authorities continue work to trace the source of this infection.

Media reports around a fire alarm

There have been media reports around a fire alarm at the managed isolation facility at the Grand Millennium that saw returnees on the street near today’s case’s accommodation. 

The fire alarm was 8pm on Monday 9 November. This is not likely to be a source of infection for this case because she was already symptomatic earlier that day.

Wellington case linked to the November quarantine cluster

1 community case is connected to the November quarantine cluster — Case C. They are a close contact of Case B and tested positive on 11 November.

Case C met Case B for lunch in Wellington at the Little Penang restaurant on The Terrace on Friday afternoon. On developing symptoms on Saturday they self-isolated at home and had a COVID-19 test. 

Although initially returning a negative result on day 3, they were moved to quarantine at the Grand Mercure in Wellington as a precaution on Tuesday. A second test yesterday resulted in a positive result. 

Push notifications were sent out on Sunday for Little Penang The Terrace, which was visited by Case B and Case C. Anyone who visited the restaurant between 1pm and 4pm on Friday should have a test if they feel symptomatic.

Household contacts for Case C are in isolation and have returned negative results. All identified close contacts are also isolating.

Advice if you live in Wellington

Last updated: at