The COVID-19 media briefing starts at 12pm.
Head of the Public Health Agency Dr Andrew Old
National Director of Te Whatu Ora – Health New Zealand’s National Public Health Service Dr Nick Chamberlain.
Watch the livestream of the briefing below.
Today's COVID-19 numbers
- 6,152 new community cases
- 663 cases in hospital
- 42,974 active community cases
- 12,328 total RATs reported in the last 24 hours
- 3,859 total PCR tests in the last 24 hours
Update from the Ministry of Health
Today we are reporting 6,152 community cases and 663 current hospitalisations.
The 7-day rolling average of community case numbers today is 6,142 — last Thursday it was 7,776.
There are now a total of 1,603 deaths confirmed as attributable to COVID-19, either as the underlying cause of death or as a contributing factor. The 7-day rolling average increase in total deaths attributable to COVID-19 is now 20.
Winter illness update
(This update is provided each Thursday)
- Of the 79 people in Auckland and Counties Manukau hospitals for SARI illnesses (severe acute respiratory infection) COVID-19 was detected in 1%, Human Metapneumovirus in 25% and Influenza in 1%
- Other causes of infection, where known, were rhinoviruses, enteroviruses, adenoviruses, parainfluenza virus and RSV (20%).
- The current rate of hospitalisations in Auckland and Counties Manukau is in line with rates seen in pre-COVID-19 years.