COVID-19 media conference — 24 March 2022
The COVID-19 media conference starts at 1pm.
- Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield.
Today's COVID-19 numbers
- 18,423 new community cases
- 44 new cases identified at the border
- 913 cases in hospital
- 3,268 total PCR tests in the last 24 hours
- 36,969 total rapid antigen test (RAT) results reported in the last 24 hours
- 3,694 booster doses administered yesterday
Update from the Ministry of Health
COVID-19 related deaths
Today we are sadly reporting the deaths of 11 people with COVID-19.
These deaths take the total number of publicly reported deaths with COVID-19 to 221 and the 7-day rolling average of reported deaths to 10.
Of these 11 deaths we are reporting today, two people are from the Auckland region, two are from Bay of Plenty, six are from Waikato, and one is from the Wellington region.
Two of these people were in their 50s, one person was in their 70s, four people were in their 80s, and four people were in their 90s.
Six were men and five were women.
Our thoughts and condolences are with their whānau and friends at this sad time.
Out of respect, we will be making no further comment.
Read the Ministry of Health's full update | health.govt.nz (external link)