If you can't get essential supplies

Advice on support available if you need help getting groceries and other essential supplies.

Accessible formats

The information on this page is also available in accessible formats:

Getting help with urgent or unexpected costs

Work and Income may be able to help you pay for groceries or goods, if you’re on a low income or a benefit.

Find out how Work and Income can help (external link)

Getting groceries and supplies if you’re self-isolating, vulnerable or a healthcare worker

Getting help from the Student Volunteer Army

The Student Volunteer Army offers a contactless food ordering and delivery service for:

  • people aged over 65
  • those who are medically vulnerable, and
  • families of healthcare workers or healthcare workers themselves.

Request support from the Student Volunteer Army (external link)

Getting help from your support networks

If you have to self-isolate, you may need extra help to get:

  • groceries
  • medicine
  • transport to get to necessary appointments.

Ask your support networks, such as whanau, friends, iwi and neighbours. You can also ask community providers to help.

Getting help from your local Civil Defence Emergency Management (CDEM) Group

If you don’t have support networks, you can get support from your local Civil Defence Emergency Management (CDEM) Group. They work with food banks and other organisations to make sure that people in need can get food and supplies.

Information for food banks, food rescue and community food services (external link)

Contact your local Civil Defence group

Your local Civil Defence Emergency Management (CDEM) Group works 7 days a week from 9am to 5pm. This service is for people that do not have any other options available to them.

The phone number for your local CDEM group is below.

List updated 9 May 2020.

Emergency contact numbers

Call 111 for Fire and Emergency, Police or Ambulance.

For mental health or addiction support

Animated videos relating to this page

Last modified: