Eating out and getting takeaways safely at Alert Level 2
At Alert Level 2 cafes, restaurants and bars can open and have customers on their premises. They must meet requirements to keep their customers safe.
Delivery, drive-through or contactless pick-up may still be available.
- If you have cold or flu symptoms, stay home.
- Keep a 2 metre distance from people you don't know.
- Follow the establishment's safety measures.
- Wash your hands when you get home.
Hospitality businesses must:
- keep groups seated
- keep groups separated, and
- use a single server for each group if possible. This means each group has one server, though servers can each serve more than one table.
The '3S' guidelines will be in place.
- Seated – customers must be seated.
- Separated – keep at least 1 metre apart from other groups.
- Single server – each group will have only 1 server.
If you are consuming on-site, you need to be seated to order. If you are consuming off-site, you can queue to order food at the counter.
Getting takeaways safely at Alert Level 3
Food businesses can open at Alert Level 3, but only for takeaway, delivery or drive through.
If you are picking up food in person, make sure you do this as safely as possible. You won't be allowed to enter the store, and need to maintain a 2 metre distance from others.
Don't go out to get takeaways if you're sick with cold and flu-like symptoms. You must self-isolate at home and ask someone else to pick food up or get it delivered.
Tips to follow
Before you go
- Order ahead — online or over the phone.
- Food outlets should not be accepting orders made at the store.
- Only arrive to pick up your food when it's ready, to avoid waiting around.
Picking up food and drinks
- Send only one person from your bubble.
- Pay online, or use a contactless payment method — like payWave, PayPass or Apple Pay.
- If you're using cash or touch the EFTPOS machine, don't touch your face until you have been able to thoroughly wash your hands.
- If the business allows you to use reusable containers such as personal keep cups or has an in-house reusable coffee cup scheme, make sure to wipe the cup before and after use.
- Don’t wait with people in a crowd. You need to maintain a 2 metre distance from anyone not in your bubble, even if you're waiting in a queue.
- Be kind to the staff — they may be dealing with high volumes.
- Get it and go — make your visit as quick as possible.
When you get home
- Wash your hands thoroughly before eating.
NZSL videos relating to this page
Easy Read information relating to this page
Large Print information relating to this page