How to access healthcare

If you need to see a doctor or other medical professional you must phone first.

Most consultations will happen over the phone (or by videoconference) to stop any risk of the disease spreading by person to person contact.

If a face-to-face meeting is required, your doctor or other medical professional will organise this with you.

When should I seek medical advice?

If you are concerned about any COVID-19 symptoms you are experiencing, please contact Healthline (for free) on 0800 358 5453 or your doctor.

Find out more about COVID-19 symptoms(external link)(external link)

Can I leave my house to seek medical attention during an alert Level 3 or 4?

If you require any medical assistance, you must phone your doctor or the hospital first. Health and medical facilities are recognised as an essential service and will remain open, even in a Level 4 lockdown.

If you are in need of urgent assistance, contact emergency services (dial 111).

I can't get through to Healthline/my local doctor

Many people in New Zealand are reaching out for help and advice but it’s important phone lines for Healthline and GPs to be kept free so those who need medical advice can ring through.

Everything will be done to get people the support they need as quickly as possible.

Please try to only call Healthline or your GP when you need medical assistance. If your call is not directly related to medical assistance, you may be able to find answers to your questions on the website.

If you are in need of urgent assistance, contact emergency services (dial 111).

What do I do if I need a repeat prescription for my regular medication?

Your Doctor will have in place ways to get a prescription without seeing your Doctor face to face. Please ring your Doctor for further information.

Pharmacies are recognised as an essential service and will remain open, even in Level 4.
If you need to go to your local pharmacy, phone them first to ensure you are able to go in-store.

If you are an at-risk group you may need to ask someone to pick up your medicines on your behalf.

What should I do if I am at risk, immune-compromised or have someone at risk in my household?

You are at high-risk if you are over 70, pregnant, or have underlying health conditions.

People with underlying medical conditions include a compromised immune system, liver disease, cancer, kidney disease, heart disease and diabetes mellitus, respiratory issues or on immunosuppressant medications.

You might live with an at-risk person and want information on how to protect their health.

Visit the Ministry of Health website for more information(external link)(external link)

Find the latest health information

Are you or your whānau unwell? The best ways to get support are to:

  • call your family doctor for advice or information. If you think you’ve been exposed to COVID-19 (through contact with someone who has it), it’s important to let your family doctor know.
  • call Healthline with your COVID-19 health-related concerns. The call is free and someone is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 0800 358 5453 (or for international SIMs call +64 9 358 5453).
  • you can also call Healthline: if you don’t have a family doctor, if you’re feeling unwell but you’re not sure if you need to see a doctor, or for advice about what’s happening for you and next steps.
  • call Plunketline if you have questions about your child or baby’s health or wellbeing on 0800 933 922 and speak to a Plunket nurse. Plunketline runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • contact your midwife for support and advice during pregnancy and postnatal. In an emergency, always call 111.

The Ministry of Health regularly updates its webpage with detailed health advice(external link)


Last modified: