How contact tracing helps
To stop any future spread of COVID-19, we need to trace the contacts of anyone who may have been exposed to COVID-19 and break the chain of transmission. Recording people’s movements helps us to do this quickly and efficiently.
The faster we can trace contacts, the faster we can prevent another outbreak of the disease.
How to keep track of your movements
Use the NZ COVID Tracer app if you can, otherwise use whatever method works for you. Encourage your family, whānau and friends to do the same.
You should keep track of the 3 Ws:
- Where you went.
- When you went there.
- Who you met.
You can keep track of your movements by:
- using an app to record your movement
- keeping a diary
- keeping a list in a safe place, or
- taking time-stamped photos of where you’ve been.
NZ COVID Tracer
The Ministry of Health has created a tracing app — NZ COVID Tracer. The app helps you to create a digital diary of where you have been.
- scan the official QR codes at participating businesses
- add manual entries for places you have been that don't have a QR code poster.
Get help with NZ COVID Tracer
If you have questions or feedback about the app or any problems using it:
Contact tracing for businesses and services