How contact tracing helps
To stop any future spread of COVID-19, we need to trace the contacts of anyone who may have been exposed to COVID-19 and break the chain of transmission. Recording people’s movements helps us to do this quickly and efficiently.
The faster we can trace contacts, the faster we can prevent another outbreak of the disease.
How to keep track of your movements
Use the NZ COVID Tracer app if you can, otherwise use whatever method works for you, like the NZ COVID Tracer booklet. Encourage your family, whānau and friends to do the same.
We recommend you keep track of the 3 Ws:
- Where you went.
- When you went there.
- Who you met.
You can keep track of your movements by:
- using an app to record your movement
- keeping a diary
- keeping a list in a safe place, or
- taking time-stamped photos of where you’ve been.
NZ COVID Tracer app
The Ministry of Health has created a tracing app — NZ COVID Tracer. The app helps you to create a digital diary of where you have been.
- scan the official QR codes at participating businesses
- add manual entries for places you have been that do not have a QR code poster.
Get help with NZ COVID Tracer
If you have questions or feedback about the app or any problems using it:
NZ COVID Tracer booklet
You can use the NZ COVID Tracer booklet to keep track of where you've been if you do not use the NZ COVID Tracer app. If you use the booklet, we recommend you still sign contact tracing registers when you visit places like shops.
Download and print your booklets
Print whichever booklet you like most. You may need to adjust your printer settings to print as many of the blank pages as you want.
- NZ COVID Tracer booklet, 36 pages A4 [PDF, 664 KB]
- NZ COVID Tracer booklet, 3 pages — print onto A4 paper and fold into a booklet [PDF, 116 KB]
Print your booklets in other languages
The NZ COVID Tracer booklet is available in other languages. Find the language you want and look in the ‘Posters and resources’ section.
Order the booklet
Each booklet has 30 pages, so will last someone around 1 month. If you're ordering multiple booklets, they come in a pack of 10.
Email us if you'd like a booklet and are unable to print your own.
For your organisation
If you’re an organisation with a wide reach to New Zealanders who may need this booklet, you can order copies to distribute to your communities.
How to use the booklet
How to use the NZ COVID Tracer booklet:
- Keep your booklet with you so you can record your movements whenever you leave your house. The booklet can fit in your pocket, handbag or backpack.
- Write in the booklet where you have been, what time you were there, how you got there and who you met there — if you met someone you know.
- Use your booklet when you come into contact with other people, like in a shop, or when you cannot keep 2 metres away from others.
Contact tracing for businesses and services