If you need help with accommodation

Information to help you access or pay for accommodation.

If you need help to access or pay for accommodation during COVID-19, there are several ways to get support. It depends on your situation.

New Zealand Citizens, Residents or Permanent Residents

Leaving a Managed Isolation Facility

If you’re leaving a Managed Isolation Facility and have nowhere to stay, talk to the manager of your Managed Isolation Facility.

Help to pay for the housing or accommodation you’re in

If you’re a public housing tenant of Kainga Ora or a Community Housing provider, contact your tenancy manager.

You can also contact Work and Income:

Youth services

If you’re under 19 call your Youth Service provider if you have one.

If you do not have a Youth Service provider call Work and Income on 0800 559 009. Say “youth client” when you call.

Urgent accommodation

If you’re in urgent need of housing within the next 7 days and have nowhere else to stay, call Work and Income on 0800 559 009:

  • Monday to Friday, 7am to 6pm
  • Saturday, 8am to 1pm.

Work and Income website (external link)

At risk from family violence

If you’re at risk from family violence and are in immediate danger call 111. Press 55 to go through to the Police.

If you’re not in immediate danger but need help with family violence you can call:

  • Crisisline on 0800 733 843, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • 2Shine on 0508 744 633, 9am to 11pm, 7 days a week
  • Shakti International on 0800 742 584 if English is your second language. They’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Last updated: