Types of proof available
There are 3 ways to show proof of your vaccinations:
- My Vaccine Pass — you can use this as proof of your COVID-19 vaccination status within Aotearoa New Zealand. My Vaccine Pass is a QR code which you can add to a digital wallet on your phone.
- International Travel Vaccination Certificate — you can use this as proof for travel overseas.
- Your COVID-19 vaccination record — this has more detailed information about your COVID-19 vaccinations, and can be used as proof for work and alongside your International Travel Vaccination Certificate.
International Travel Vaccination Certificate
If you are travelling overseas and you need to provide proof of your vaccination status, you will need an International Travel Vaccination Certificate. Anyone 5 years and over who has had any dose of a COVID-19 vaccine administered in New Zealand can request one.
The details on your International Travel Vaccination Certificate must match your passport. You can review your personal details when you request the certificate.
These certificates comply with EU Digital COVID Certificate standards.
You will also need to meet all immigration and entry requirements for the country you are travelling to, for example some countries may also require proof of a negative pre-departure test. Before travelling, check the requirements of the country you are travelling to.
Your International Travel Vaccination Certificate will have a QR code that will be scanned when you are travelling. It will include details of the COVID-19 vaccinations you have had administered in New Zealand.
You can save this certificate on a digital device, like your phone, or print a physical copy.
This certificate is valid for 12 months.
We also recommend downloading a copy of your vaccination records that you can use alongside your International Travel Vaccination Certificate.
My Vaccine Pass
My Vaccine Pass is a domestic record of COVID-19 vaccinations that you might be asked to show within New Zealand.
In April 2022 the legal requirement for businesses to use My Vaccine Passes was removed. Some businesses may voluntarily keep My Vaccine Pass requirements as a condition of entry. For this reason, it is a good idea to have an up-to-date My Vaccine Pass handy in case you are asked for it.
Get an updated My Vaccine Pass
An updated My Vaccine Pass is available for anyone aged 12 and over who is up-to-date with their COVID-19 vaccinations, as well as those with a temporary medical exemption.
|Age||Doses needed to get an updated My Vaccine Pass|
|18 years and over||2 primary doses, plus a booster|
|12 to 17-year-olds||2 primary doses|
|5 to 11-year-olds||Vaccine passes not needed, and not available for this age group|
The updated My Vaccine Pass will have a slightly different look to the current version with a different colour and a few updates to design. It will still have a QR code.
New My Vaccine Passes will be valid for 6 months.
How to request a new pass
You can request a new pass for yourself or someone else:
- through My Covid Record (external link)
- by calling 0800 28 29 26
- by visiting a participating vaccination site.
If you are not up-to-date with your COVID-19 vaccinations
You can get a temporary My Vaccine Pass if:
Advice for businesses
Businesses can choose to require people to show their My Vaccine Pass as a condition of entry. It is up to each business to decide what is appropriate, taking into account the health and safety of their workers and customers.
Businesses can do this as long as:
- they do not breach any contractual restrictions, for example in a lease or under a franchise agreement
- they do not ask for My Vaccine Pass in settings that are currently prohibited from doing so, for example supermarkets, pharmacies, public transport and education services. This is to ensure everyone can continue to access these key services.
Businesses can also continue to use the NZ Pass Verifier app to check My Vaccine Passes.
Businesses cannot ask children under 12 years and 3 months for a My Vaccine Pass.
Your COVID-19 vaccination record
You can request a copy of your COVID-19 vaccination record online through My Covid Record.
Your vaccination record includes:
- batch numbers
- dose number
- vaccine type
- any overseas vaccinations you have requested be added to your health record.
It can be used:
- as evidence of your vaccinations if required by an employer – including under the New Zealand vaccine mandate
- alongside your International Travel Vaccination Certificate.
Your vaccination record cannot be used instead of a My Vaccine Pass or an International Travel Vaccination Certificate.
How to get proof of vaccination
There are 3 ways to get your My Vaccine Pass, International Travel Vaccination Certificate or record of your COVID-19 vaccinations.
- online through My Covid Record (external link)
- by calling 0800 28 29 26, option 4 (8am to 8pm, 7 days)
- in person at a participating vaccination site.
Getting your My Vaccine Pass or International Travel Vaccination Certificate through My Covid Record
1. Log in to My Covid Record (external link)
2. In the 'Passes and certificates' section, select 'Request pass or certificate'.
3.The 'Select who this pass or certificate is for' will open. Select either 'Myself' or 'Someone else'.
4. The 'Select a pass or certificate' option will appear. Select 'My Vaccine Pass' or 'International Travel Vaccination Certificate'.
5. You will then be prompted to enter details including the full name and date of birth of the person who the pass is for and their NHI number.
6. You should receive your My Vaccine Pass by email within 24 hours.
Download a copy of your COVID-19 vaccination record
1.Log in to My Covid Record (external link)
2. Select 'Get a copy of your vaccinations'.
3. You will then be prompted to enter your email address. Your Vaccine Record will be emailed to you within 24 hours.
Last updated: at