Travelling overseas on compassionate grounds
You can apply for an early vaccine on compassionate grounds if you need to travel overseas to:
- access critical medical care that is not available in New Zealand for yourself or a dependant (for example, your child)
- visit an immediate family member who is dying
- provide critical care and protection for a dependant.
Travelling for reasons of national significance
You may be eligible for an early vaccine if you need to travel overseas to:
- protect the safety and security of New Zealand’s right to govern itself
- be involved in Government-approved humanitarian efforts as part of New Zealand’s commitments to foreign aid, international disaster responses, or supporting Pacific and Realm countries to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic
- participate in major international events where travel is necessary to represent New Zealand
- be involved in nationally significant trade negotiations.
The relevant agency or association will apply on your behalf.
How to apply
If you are travelling overseas before 31 August, you can apply online for an early vaccine through the Ministry of Health website.