Advice for homeless shelters to help you look after your attendees, staff, and volunteers.
Engage your local district health board
Work with them to develop a plan for what to do if a COVID-19 case is suspected or confirmed in or around your facility.
Prepare your community
- Develop plans for what to do if staff or volunteers are unable to come to work due to self-isolation or illness.
- Develop a plan for communicating with staff, volunteers and attendees whenever updates are needed.
- If possible, identify space where those who become unwell can be separated from others. Designate a room and bathroom if available and develop a plan for cleaning the room safely.
- Ensure surfaces that are frequently touched — such as shared desks, countertops, kitchen areas, equipment, electronics and doorknobs — are cleaned frequently and thoroughly with disinfectant.
- Ensure there are appropriate handwashing facilities, tissues and lined containers for the safe disposal of used tissues available.
- Place tips and advice about COVID-19 in obvious and visible places, including health tips and where to go for help and advice.
- Ensure staff, volunteers and those using the space are aware of these health steps, and of the importance of following them.