Emergency benefit if you have a temporary visa
If you have a temporary visa and cannot support yourself or return home due to COVID-19, you may be able to get an Emergency Benefit.
The Emergency Benefit is a weekly payment to help with your basic living costs.
Who can get it
You may be able to get the Emergency Benefit if you:
- are looking for work, or cannot work for some reason
- have a current temporary New Zealand visa that is not sponsored, for example a visitor visa, student visa or work visa
- are in financial hardship with no other means of support — money to buy a flight home does not count as support
- are taking all reasonable steps to find other means of support, for example looking for work; consular assistance; support from family, friends and organisations in NZ or overseas or arranging to return home as soon as you can
- have a valid passport
- have a New Zealand bank account
- have an Inland Revenue (IRD) number.
You can apply for the Emergency Benefit from 1 December 2020 to 28 February 2021.