Working safely at Alert Level 3

Find out what your employer needs to do to keep you safe at work at Alert Level 3.

If you are working from home

At Alert Level 3, you should work from home if you can.

If you are working from home, your employer should:

  • continue to pay you your normal pay
  • check that you have all the equipment you need to work from home
  • keep in regular contact with you
  • make sure you have opportunities to stay connected with your workmates.

If you interact with customers

All interactions with customers legally must be contactless. This means customers cannot come onto the premises, unless you work at a:

  • supermarket
  • dairy
  • foodbank
  • butcher
  • fishmonger
  • greengrocer
  • petrol station
  • pharmacy
  • health care provider
  • accomodation service
  • liquor store in a Licencing Trust area
  • court or tribunal
  • social and community-based service to maintain critical wellbeing or crisis support
  • rental car service
  • veterinary or animal care service
  • venue where a funeral, tangihanga, wedding or civil union ceremony is being held
  • bank or financial institution 
  • public transport or passenger service
  • hardware or DIY store — these stores can only open to trade customers.

If you need to interact with customers, check that your employer has set up contactless options for payment, deliveries and collection. 

If your workplace is allowed customers on site, your employer should install screens or barriers to help with physical distancing. Your employer may also provide you with personal protective equipment (PPE), for example gloves to use as an extra safety measure.

You also must keep 1 metre apart from people you work with.

Your employer must provide you with training on the safety measures they have implemented, and consult with you before making any changes to the way you work.

Your employer also needs to provide you with hand sanitiser and cleaning products so you can wash your hands and clean and disinfect equipment and surfaces you touch often.

We recommend you scan in using the NZ COVID Tracer app before you enter your workplace, or keeping your own record to help with contact tracing.

Face coverings

You legally must wear a face covering if you work:

  • at a supermarket, dairy, petrol station, licensing trust, pharmacy, food bank, self-service laundry, hardware store, butcher, fishmonger, greengrocer, shopping mall, bank or at New Zealand Post
  • in the public-facing area of a court, tribunal or social service provider
  • as a delivery driver to residential addresses — you only need to wear a face covering when you are out of your vehicle
  • as a driver of a taxi, ride-share vehicle, ferry, bus or train used for public transport  you do not need to wear a face covering if you drive a school bus or are the skipper of a ferry between the North Island and South Island
  • at a veterinary clinic
  • in the passenger areas of the ferry that runs between the North and South Island.

Some people are exempt from wearing a face covering. 

Who does not need to wear a face covering

Follow these rules to keep everyone safe

  • Limit physical interaction with workmates and customers as much as possible.
  • Wear a face covering if you are required to.
  • Keep track of where you have been by using the NZ COVID Tracer app.
  • Wash and sanitise your hands often.
  • Stay home if you feel unwell. If you feel unwell at work, let your employer know so you can go home.
  • Get the vaccine when you are offered one. 

If you are feeling worried or anxious about going into your workplace, talk to your employer. 

If you need to go into someone's home to work

At Alert Level 3, there are limited reasons for going into someone's home to work.

You can go into someone's home to work if you are a tradesperson — for example a plumber, electrician or locksmith, a gardener or landscaper, or for pest control. 

You must wear a face covering when going into someone's home to work.

If you go into someone's home to work:

  • stay 2 metres apart from everyone in the home. We recommend having online payment options to minimise physical contact.
  • keep a record of your visit to support contact tracing. This includes recording the date and time you arrive and leave a customer's home and your customer's contact details.

Do not go into someone's home if you are unwell, or if the clients you visit are unwell.

If you are a home cleaner, you can continue to support vulnerable people  — for example, disabled people or people with health conditions.

In-home carers

At Alert Level 3, in-home carers can continue to provide support. Your employer must have appropriate guidelines and systems in place to keep you safe at work. This includes following the public health guidelines and notifying you if the person you are providing care for is sick.

If you are going into someone's home to provide care, you should:

  • stay home if you are sick and get a test if you have any COVID-19 symptoms
  • practise good hygiene at all times
  • maintain physical distancing where possible
  • use personal protective equipment (PPE) as appropriate
  • keep a record of your visit for contact tracing purposes
  • get a vaccine when you are offered one.

If you need to isolate or get a COVID-19 test

If you have been asked to isolate or get a COVID-19 test, it's important you stay home and follow all public health guidelines.

If you cannot work from home while isolating or while you wait for the results of a COVID-19 test, your employer can apply for financial assistance for you so you can continue to get paid.

Financial support if you are waiting for the results of a COVID-19 test (external link)

Financial support if you need to isolate

Last updated: at