The Ministry of Health collects data about cases of COVID-19, clusters, locations of interest and testing in New Zealand.
Current COVID-19 cases
You can get data on:
- the number of confirmed and probable cases of COVID-19
- the location and source of active cases
- cases by district health board (DHB).
COVID-19 case demographics
You can get data on confirmed and probable cases by:
- age and sex
- hospitalisation and intensive care
Source of COVID-19 cases
Data on how the virus has spread in New Zealand, for example imported cases, locally acquired but linked to another case, or locally acquired with no known source.
You can also get data on clusters of cases.
Testing for COVID-19
The Ministry of Health publishes data on:
- total tests completed
- tests by location, for example in managed isolation or by district health board
- tests by ethnicity
- testing rates, including testing by location, ethnicity, and age and sex.
COVID-19 vaccine data
The Ministry of Health collects data and statistics about the rollout of COVID-19 vaccines in New Zealand.
You can get:
- total numbers of first and second doses of the vaccine
- number of vaccinations administered against the plan
- vaccinations by day
- vaccinations by district health board (DHB), and
- vaccinations by age, sex and ethnicity
Managed isolation and quarantine data
Data and statistics about managed isolation and quarantine is published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).
The data includes:
- daily data updates
- projected occupancy over the next 14 days
- number of people who have returned to New Zealand
- daily incident reports
- testing data and current COVID-19 cases in managed isolation and quarantine.
NZ COVID Tracer app data
The Ministry of Health collects information on how much people are using the NZ COVID Tracer app.
You can get daily data on:
- app registrations
- QR codes generated
- manual diary entries
- devices with Bluetooth tracing turned on.
Resources for more data
Find more sources of data related to COVID-19, if the data collected by the Ministry of Health is not what you need.
Examples include the ESR dashboard, Stats NZ’s COVID-19 data portal and the ability to request more-detailed COVID-19 data if you’re a researcher.
COVID-19 modelling reports
The Ministry of Health publishes a series of modelling reports, which help us understand the future health impact of COVID-19 in New Zealand.